2 - The Day Before

Saturday, September 22, 2018

     What if I could find another '73 Catalina? Curious, I looked online, and found one. It was even the same shade of artichoke green. Only 82,000 miles (so they said) and mine for a mere $12,000. Why, they would even ship it from North Carolina.


     Nah, my Dodge Challenger would have to do. Not such a bad option, and accommodating of my overpacking. How did we do this in 1978, with two people? Because back then I had only three t-shirts, a pair of cutoffs, and a sleeping bag. Now I have twenty t-shirts, five slacks, four pair of shoes, and even a suit (you never know!). Not to mention a cooler filled with Gatorade, water, and emergency beer.

     Finally pulling out of the driveway, I actually felt chills. I want this! On the way down I-75 to Cincinnati, listening to music, I even felt a little high. (Though it could have been the Nature's Path "Hemp Hearts" granola I had for breakfast.)

     Bruce, my 1978 traveling companion. I met Bruce at Skyline Chili at Madison Road in Cincinnati, and brought my journals and photo albums. We talked for five hours.



     Why did you go with me back then? I asked him.

     "Three reasons. One, I wanted to do the trip. Two, sell the screenplay. (A Hollywood agent was interested in a script Bruce sent, and was willing to meet with him.) Three, get some space from a very intense relationship." (Example: “We went out for pizza. I asked if she wanted black or green olives. She replied, “Do you feel the undercurrent of violence in this city?”) Bruce was also dissatisfied with the course of his post-college career. He had been working in a federal prison, hoping to be a teacher there, but all he was doing was “living quarter and body cavity searches and watching for the passing of contraband during visits.” 

     I was not able to persuade Bruce to go with me this time, but I was able to get him to take a photo of me on top of my car, recreating the shot at the beginning of this blog. He was game, running out in the middle of Madison St. during breaks in traffic, and this is what we got:

     For that, my ass got soaking wet from the rain.

     Mike, who participated in the 1978 trip by playing chess with me remotely. After goodbyes with Bruce, I joined Mike, his wife, her parents, and their monkey "Scamp" for dinner.


     After everyone else had finished their entrees, I politely inquired about mine; the servers feigned surprise. "Oh, you ordered food too???" Eventually I got my dinner and we returned to Mike's, where we reminisced some more and started the 2018 chess game.

He's even wearing his championship chess shirt, to psych me out.

      Then after a long day, it was time for my first night's sleep, on the road (or a fancy Cincinnati suburb).


Tomorrow: Return to Kirklin, Indiana.






Comments

  1. Reminds me of "On The Road", with Charles Kuralt, sans the motor home...

    Safe travels...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of you sitting on the car! It was worth the wet butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a whole lot worth a wet butt, but that photo was one of them.

      Delete
  3. What’s the explanation for the monkies?? :) - Kristina G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike and I started a monkey thing back in college. We had a collection and gave them each names and personalities.

      Delete
  4. Sue, her parents and I were all on our way to meet Nick at Don Pablo's when he informed us that it had been closed for 6 weeks. We went to our next favorite place 'El Vaquero', which had excellent food and terrible service for Nick. He consoled himself with a Marguerita the size of a small fishbowl (after sending it back for lack of salt...). Nick regaled us with stories of the previous trip, and his amazing record keeping including detailed entries for the route taken each day. Then, after more drinks and some toasting, we began our chess match...

    We will all be following Nick's great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still working on my next move, Mike. You devastated me 40 years ago; that loss has been burning within me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 - Kirklin, Indiana - 40 years later

24 - And the moral of the story is ....

1 - The Journey Begins