11 - Detour to Stonehenge

Will the Giant Artichoke make it to Stonehenge?
              I got my pan fried trout. Hale’s in Hermiston, Oregon served it up with two over easy, hashbrowns, and sourdough toast. Looks like that fishy was fried a little deeper in the pan than I had expected, but man, what a breakfast:

              From there I made my way across the Columbia river to Washington State Route 14, which follows the river gorge all the way to Portland. Here are a couple of shots from 1978:
            I may not have previously mentioned that Bruce's nickname was "W," the first letter of his last name - long before a certain president was elected. Here I am procuring a souvenir for "W" along our route:
I'm fairly certain the statute of limitations has passed.
              Route 14 is just as beautiful today. I could have stopped every five minutes to take photos, but I had already annoyed the Fed Ex van driver that I had to pass twice, so I tried to be judicious. Here are a few:



One last one looking back.
              One of the fun treats along Route 14 was the unexpected appearance of Stonehenge on the landscape. There’s nothing else around, it just appears. Curious, Bruce and I pulled in and explored. It’s a World War I memorial that was built as an exact replica of what Stonehenge, England would have looked like before it fell into partial ruin. 

              Bruce and I were appropriately respectful:


              (By the way, you'll sometimes see us wearing our "Jet" hats, which we picked up along this route at the "Finest Cap Center in the Nation." Unfortunately, it seems to have gone defunct. I still have mine, but I wanted to get a replacement for Bruce.)
               This time I visited, there were a few more tourists around, including some little kids running around like it was a giant playground. I had someone take my photo, but I couldn’t get up on the monolith this time. I suspect Bruce had probably boosted me. Nor did I attempt to stand on my head; I have enough trouble on my feet.

              I was fortunate to spend the evening in the company of my wife’s cousin Mike, and his wife Chris. Mike is retired from the Forestry Service, and Chris was a teacher who still volunteer tutors. Mike buys green coffee beans and roasts them himself in an ancient popcorn air popper, and meticulously records the optimal roasting times in a spiral notebook. It was excellent coffee, though even better company.

              I now sit in the cafeteria of Bob’s Red Mill Visitor’s Center, Flour Mill, Whole Grain Store, Restaurant, and Bakery, just ten minutes down the road from Mike and Chris.

              Bob himself is wandering around here somewhere. I will have to snag some oatmeal raisin cookies for the road, after I finish Chris’ homemade ginger molasses ones that she packed me.

Tomorrow: looking for Becky, Travis, and the Hungry Harbor




Comments

  1. How did you meet Becky and Travis? I was at Folly Farm then, just down the road, a hippie commune that no longer exists. Becky and I lived in a cabin in the woods, then the barn.

    Maybe you guys heard about us and stopped at Folly first? I'm in McMinnville now, fyi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie, congratulations for being the first person I do not know who has commented on this blog! How in the world did you come across it? I will write about how I met Becky and Travis in my next entry - it's a great story - I'm hoping to talk to them first. Feel free to contact me at nroumel [at] yahoo. Would love to chat.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures of Route 14 and great memories from this part of our journey. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it to Bob's (and of course our place also) Nick! All our best as you continue your journey. Mike and Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 - Kirklin, Indiana - 40 years later

24 - And the moral of the story is ....

1 - The Journey Begins